RC Nicosia President 2020-2021
Tel +357 99650050
|Institution||Date||Degree(s) or Diploma(s) obtained|
|San Jose Sate University, California USA||1988-1991||BSc Environmental Sciences|
|San Jose Sate University, California USA||1992-1995||MSc Boundary Meteorology|
- Greenovate! Europe, European Interest Group, based in Brussels; President.
- Cyprus Federation of Environmental Scientists and Engineers; Founding member
- Cyprus Federation of Hazardous Waste Management Companies; Board Member.
- Managing Director of Atlantis Environment and Innovation Ltd)
- Executive Director of Envirochem Cyprus Ltd
- Managing Director of P.Ch. Green Projects Ltd
- Managing Director of Greenovate Ltd
- Mr Panayiotou has 20+ years of experience of implementing projects in the Environmental Management and Eco0innovation management fields. He has long term experience in project management of complex and innovative projects in Cyprus and abroad, sourced from the private and public sectors as well as from EU Co-funded projects. He has in depth knowledge of Environmental Law and policy, legal compliance and environmental due diligence. He is also highly skilled in environmental modelling and assessment in the fields of air quality, surface water quality and environmental noise. Lastly he has long term experience in solid waste management including preparation of waste management plans, waste audits and landfill rehabilitation. He has implemented projects both in Cyprus and abroad including Greece, Lebanon, Cameroon, Kazakhstan and Ukraine.
Project experience includes:
- He has coordinated and implemented EIA studies since 1995 for a wide range of projects including infrastructure such as Electricity production and transfer stations, industrial plants, tourist developments, golf courses, marinas, the Euroasia subsea electricity cable connecting Cyprus with Israel and Greece, the PEACEMED communications subsea wire on behalf of Huawei Marine, a 400,000 tons / year municipal waste to energy plant in Cameroon, the demolition of RFNA missile fuel storage facilities in two military bases in Ukraine and others.
- Environmental monitoring, modelling and assessment, Environmental Management, Environmental Legal Compliance for industries, municipalities and public authorities.
- 20+ years of project management and coordination experience
He has undertaken the management of a large number of projects implemented on behalf of public and private sector clients as well as many years of experience with IFIs and Regions (Leonardo, Med) and funded projects and programs such as EU (LIFE Third countries, LIFE+, Europe Innova, EUREKA, INCO-MPC, FP7-Regions, Leornardo, Med and H2020), as well as UNDP and the Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation. Among others he was local coordinator for Cyprus for EU funded projects Innowater funded by FP7 funded by Europe Innova, WATER funded by LIFE+, Webair funded by Eureka, WASTECOSMART funded by FP7 and others. Since 1997 he has coordinated more than 100 EIA, SEA and environmental management studies fro public and private sector clients.
- Organisational and project management skills
- Excellent knowledge in EU and Cyprus National Environmental Law and policy
- Certified Lead Auditor for ISO14001
- Solid waste management
- Air quality, environmental noise and surface water quality management and Modelling using specialized computer software for air quality, traffic noise and water resources management (Aermod, Ausplume, CamX, IMMI, TNM, SWMM etc, ), as well as Autocad, Surfer, Fortran programming.
- G. Hadjimitsis, C. Panayiotou, A. Agapiou, K. Themistokleous, C. Achilleos, S. Kleanthous, 2013. Air Pollution Monitoring Based on Remote Sensing and Simultaneous Ground PM 10 and PM2.5 Measurements: The ‘WebAir-2 Project’.
- Nicholas Kathijotes, Charalambos Panayiotou, 2013. Wastewater reuse for irrigation and seawater intrusion: evaluation of salinity effects on soils in Cyprus. Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination.Vol. 3 Number 4, 2013, Pages 392-401, © IWA Publishing 2013
- Sanja Grgurić, Josip Križan, Goran Gašparac, Oleg Antonić, Diofantos G. Hadjimitsis, Relationship between MODIS based Aerosol Optical Depth and PM10 over Croatia. The WEBAIR‐2 EUREKA project.
- Sanja Grgurić, Josip Križan, Goran Gašparac, Oleg Antonić, Kyriakos Themistocleou, C. Panayiotou et al., 2013. Particulate monitoring, modeling, and management: Natural sources, long-range transport, and emission control options: A case study of Cyprus.
- Savvas Kleanthous, Diofantos G. Hadjimitsis, Constantina Achilleos, Charalampos Panayiotou, Paul Christodoulides, 2013. PM3-Particulate matter monitoring LIFE+ Project: Integration of satellite remotely sensed data and ground measurements.
- Savvas Kleanthous, Chrysanthos Savvides, Ioannis Christofides, Diofantos G. Hadjimitsis, Nicolaos Mihalopoulos, 2013. Particulate monitoring, modeling, and management: natural sources, long-range transport, and emission control options: a case study of Cyprus
- Helsen, T. Rommens, A. De Ridder, C. Panayiotou, J. Colpaert, 2009. (Chapter) Remediation and rehabilitation of abandoned mining sites in Cyprus.
- Panayiotou C., 1999. Preparation of the Cyprus 50-year Extreme 3-second Gust Wind Map. Cyprus Board of Civil Engineers, Volume
- Panayiotou C., 2001. Assessment and Modification of Traffic Noise Prediction Models under Cyprus conditions: Research promotion Foundation.
- Panayiotou C., 2003. Assessment and Modification of Traffic Noise Prediction Models under Cyprus condition. Research Summary. Ypsipetos, Volume 6.
- Panayiotou C., Seminar Presentation, 2000: Sustainable Water Management through Integrated Conflict Resolution Strategies.
- Panayiotou C., 1995. Application of the prognostic URBMET/TVM meso-[beta] meteorological model to Phoenix Arizona. Master’s Thesis.
- Several EIA, SEA, Acoustic Survey and Air quality survey reports prepared on behalf of government Departments and private businesses.