A Brief History of Rotary in Cyprus
THE FIRST Cyprus Rotary Club was established in Nicosia in 1938 at the initiative of a small group of distinguished Cypriot businessmen and professionals who had seen Rotary work abroad. The group included Costas Manglis, Zenon Pierides, Theodoros Artemis, Sir Mehmet Mounir, Stelios Georgallides, George Poulias and others.
The club charter was presented to the club by the then Governor Arthur Merton and the first President was Rotarian N E Disney.
At that time Cyprus became part of District 195, which included Egypt, Lebanon and other countries in the Middle East.
A long time-gap intervened between the establishment of the first Rotary Club in Cyprus and the second, possibly due to the Second World War. However, the Island’s second Rotary Club, Limassol, was established in 1951, followed by the Rotary Club of Larnaca in 1953 – which was organised by the then Rotarian Mayor of Larnaca Zenon Pierides who had been one of the founder members of the Nicosia club and who later served as Director of Rotary International.
At about the same time, work started on the establishment of the Rotary Club of Famagusta, which received its charter in 1954.
There followed another pause of fifteen years and in 1969 Paphos acquired its own Rotary Club, to be followed next year, in 1970, by Kyrenia.
Today there are twenty Rotary Clubs in Cyprus, each of which has carried out a wealth of projects in its community and overseas.
You can find details of these Clubs and their projects in their websites, which are listed on the right.
In addition to the Rotary Clubs that there are a number of Inner Wheel Clubs for the ladies of Rotarians and also Rotaract Clubs and Interact Clubs catering for the youth of the Island.